CBD oil is all the rage in natural medicine right now and not without good reason. There are a number of benefits that CBD oil can provide and it doesn't even get you high.
If you’re curious about the legality of CBD oil, here’s a guide to get you started.
Without further ado, let’s dive right in.
What exactly is CBD oil?
CBD oil is an extract from hemp plants. Hemp does not mean "weed that you smoke" but is rather the colloquial term for the cannabis plant (marijuana plant). All marijuana that you smoke is hemp, but not all hemp is marijuana.
There are two prominent phytochemicals in hemp: THC and CBD. THC is Tetrahydrocannabinol, it's the psychoactive chemical that gets people high. CBD is Cannabidiol, which is completely non-psychoactive.
What Does it Do?
Well, there are quite a few things CBD has shown to be capable of. Here are 6 major benefits that you may or may not know about.
- Anxiety and Depression: There is significant research showing its effectiveness is equal to or greater than that of conventional medications with anxiety and depression. If you are going to take it for anxiety and depression, taking it three times daily works best.
- Anti-Acne (Better Skin): A lot of people experience healthier skin when taking CBD oil. There isn’t much scientific literature to back it up, but it makes sense and here’s why: Chronic stress (anxiety) causes tons of problems, acne breakouts being among them. If CBD reduces stress then it follows that it should reduce acne as well.
- Improved Sleep: The scientific and clinical evidence is still piling up for this one (such as this study with rats), but the anecdotal evidence is compelling. CBD oil appears to promote deep, restful sleep.
- Pain Management: CBD is a neurotransmitter, and there is strong evidence showing it may reduce inflammation and chronic pain.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: CBD has been shown to lower blood pressure in this study that produced statistically significant results. Having high blood pressure is NOT healthy so this is a great benefit.
- Neuroprotective: The research on this limited, but very promising. CBD has been shown to increase the quality of life in patients with Parkinson's disease. While the study didn’t reach statistical significance, it indicates that CBD may have some neurological benefits.
So, why doesn’t everyone know about this?
Hemp is something of a miracle plant - it's no wonder that Big Pharma and other industries are trying to sweep it under the rug. As far as Big Pharma is concerned, a patient cured is a patient lost, after all. And hemp’s medicinal properties will potentially cure quite a few patients.
The fact that CBD has so much promise at such a small cost is probably why most people don’t know about these uses for it: It's pure and simple information suppression. Couple that with the social stigma that still surrounds anything linked to marijuana and you've got yourself a bonafide invisibility cloak for something that should be more visible.
But with the growing body of evidence - even from Harvard, which touts "...the strongest scientific evidence is for its effectiveness in treating some of the cruelest childhood epilepsy syndromes, such as Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS)..." CBD oil won't remain invisible for long.
Looking for more information on CBD and its many uses? Check this out next: Cannabis Questions with Hemp & CBD Advocate Dawn Bower